One of the great attributes we enjoy is our ability to create our own national mythology and believe it. As we approach the 4th of July, I’d like to offer the following quiz (no cheating!):
1. When was the Pledge of Allegiance first introduced?
2. Who penned the Pledge?
A. Thomas Jefferson
B. Betsy Ross
C. Francis Scott Key
D. Francis Bellamy
3. What was the motivation for the Pledge?
A. To encourage nationalism
B. To sell flags and magazines to school children
C. Neither A or B
D. Both A and B
4. The original Pledge contained the words “under god” in it
5. If you answered “False” in what year was “under god” added to the pledge?
6. In what year did the United States Congress officially recognize the pledge?
7. Are grade school children required to say the pledge every morning?
8. If you answered “No” why are they not?
A. Because of atheists
B. Because the pledge offended religious convictions
C. This is America, people are not compelled to say pledges
D. I admit it, I don’t know why not
9. The author of the Pledge was a socialist?
10. As recently as 2009, a teacher berated a 13 year old girl and had school police remove her from the classroom for refusing to recite the pledge.
1. D; 2. D; 3. D; 4. B; 5. A; 6. D; 7. B; 8. B; 9. A; 10. A